|Back to Back Issues Page|
Vibrant Living, Issue #142 When Discussing GMO's...Fasting Juice & a host of NEW Raw Recipes
May 28, 2013
|Greetings Health Seekers,
Welcome to the VIBRANT LIVING NEWSLETTER
Well spring is cruising right along and I am definitely enjoying the fresh produce, the weather and the springtime social events. Wherever you are, you’re either enjoying spring or fall offerings at your local market, and probably have a few favorites that you just love to see come into season. For us the lettuces, blueberries, Persian cucumbers, and early stone fruits are captivating our taste buds.
I hope wherever you, are you are enjoying life and the Wonderful raw offerings nature has provided for us. It doesn’t get any better than healthy raw foods shared with loving family and friends.
In this edition of Vibrant Living I share another new webpage and a host of new raw recipes. A series of health stats, quotes, and a short article on something I think we all take for granted when discussing GMO’s.
We live in an overall well educated and a left of center county in northern California where many of the most progressive ideas and beliefs are fostered, but I must say I was astonished by the level of ignorance about the GMO topic. One woman at the Safeway store where our march started was giving us the “thumbs up” while she wheeled a shopping cart full of GMO products to her car.
I think we often assume people “know” this or “understand” that, when in reality they are busy with their lives and get most of the news through sound bites and headlines or other uniformed people. Most people are overwhelmed with all the causes that drop in their “inbox” and basically tune out and just try to live their busy lives. And on some level I relate and understand, but unfortunately this is the same uninformed group who votes.
Last year proposition 37, the initiative to require mandatory labeling of GMO foods was on the California ballot. Monsanto threw millions of dollars into that initiative fight to misinform that they are safe, and to scare the voters with the idea that it would raise the cost of food to label, and those two lies caused the defeat of that proposition.
I think probably most of you reading this article understand the dangers of GMO’s and support at the very least their labeling, and hopefully their retraction from the marketplace, fields, and laboratories completely. I’m writing today because I think perhaps you may have been like me just assuming everyone “knows”, when in truth there are many among us that are not fully informed to the point they will not waiver in the face of a deceptive ad campaign.
Please keep an eye open for any opportunity to share truths about Monsanto and GMO’s with friends, neighbors, acquaintances, and complete strangers. The only hope we have of succeeding is in this grass roots method of educating and planting seeds of our own.
If you yourself need more information or talking points a quick internet search will provide you with plenty of fodder.
And by the way, we did receive a great deal of positive appreciation as people honked, waved and called out their support, and hopefully we got to expose a few new people to this important issue.
1) The 1992 Bogalusa Heart Study confirmed the existence of fatty plaques and streaks (the beginning of atherosclerosis) in most children and teenagers.
2) When subjects eating foods low in caloric density, such as fruits and vegetables, were compared with those consuming foods richer in calories, those meal plans with higher calorie concentrations were found to consume twice as many calories per day in order to satisfy their hunger. Physiol Behav. 2009 Jul 14;97 (5):609-15: Rolls B.J.
3) Out of 300 umbilical cords from newborn babies tested by John Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore, 298 of the contained a suspected carcinogenic chemical used to make Teflon, the coating on nonstick cookware.
4) A 2006 report by the National Wildlife Federation in the USA concluded that every aspect of our food web and ecosystem has been contaminated- from ocean to forest to coastal waters to wetlands. Mercury toxicity accumulates up the food chain, and humans are at the top of that chain. –Lifeforce, Dr. Brian Clement
5) The World Health Organization (WHO) estimates that 1.6 billion adults on the planet are overweight and 400 million are obese (2006). By 2015, WHO predicts that 2.3 billion people will be overweight and 700 million obese.
6) It is estimated that one-third of married couples today suffer fertility problems.
7) Two decades ago, autism afflicted just 1 in every 2,000 school children. Today autism has been reported in 1 out of every 175 children.
8) In a twenty year study of over eighty-two thousand woman in the USA, the risk of heart disease was 30 percent lower in participants who got their protein and fat from vegetables rather than from meat.
9) In a European study called EPIC involving half a million people, diet was found to be second only to smoking as a cause of cancer. Obesity was found to contribute to breast, womb, kidney, and bowel cancers, while the consumption of red meat and preserved meat was found to increase the risk of a variety of cancers.
10) A large scale study of patients with incurable lung cancer who were given just weeks to live found that unconventional treatments such as a diet of raw vegetables sometimes prolonged their lives or resulted in complete recovery when radiation and chemotherapy had failed to help them.
“True healthcare reform starts in your kitchen, not in Washington” ~Anonymous
Although I believe strongly in a diet comprised mostly of fresh raw foods, I do supplement with super green powders, nuts, seeds, sea vegetables, and the occasional dried fruit such as goji berries. If you’re like me you’re always looking for a good deal on quality food whether it’s fresh from the farmers market or purchased online, so I thought I would share with you where I make most of my online purchases.
You may already be aware of the Raw Food World and their “at cost” specials, but if not here you go. When you go to purchase supportive foods like those listed above you can save money and get “at cost” special pricing by going to the link below and clicking on the “at cost” specials tab. This also allows you to save up to 14% on every order of their already good deals. The important thing to remember is that fresh is best and these products are supportive and should not be your mainstay. Enjoy!
There are a number of new testimonies at the website which I hope you will read and pass on to others when you feel they would benefit. And please feel free to leave your own story if you feel moved to do so.
You need not be 100% raw to share a testimony; the fact is most people on the raw diet are not 100% anyway. Your story may inspire someone else, perhaps from the other side of the globe, to give the raw food diet a try.
Please send me your health questions, they can be submitted anonymously if you prefer, and you may help someone else improve their health and quality life.
Be Well and Wonderful, Hugh
The contents of my website and my newsletter are gleaned from my experiences and observations, meant only for educational purposes and not intended to replace medical advice, consultations, or treatment of any kind. I recommend you see your professional health care provider if you suspect you have an illness or disease of any kind. I'm not medically trained, and I would never suggest or imply that I know what is best for someone else's body or overall health, ultimately each of us is the only one who knows what's best for us.
|Back to Back Issues Page|